Saturday, May 24, 2014

2014 Topps Factory Team Set - Rockies

I’ve decided to do a small breakdown of all 30 teams with the factory team sets (and probably the two All-Star sets too). I picked up a couple recently to get me started but I’m still looking for help on the rest. I’ll post the teams I still need at the end of this post. This will probably be my go-to Saturday post for the foreseeable future.

I’ve already done the Cubs (my team) and the Nationals (my local team). The format will basically be the same for each post. Who from the factory team set was in Series One. Who was in Opening Day. And who will potentially be in Series 2 and/or Update.

Starting off with Series One, the Rockies had 12 players in the 330 card set. Of the 11 different players featured (Todd Helton ended up with two cards, a base and a highlights card), we see seven of them again in the team set.




Left out were the two Todd Helton cards, Rafael Betancourt (free agent who just re-signed a minor league deal with the Rockies), Jonathan Herrera (traded to the Red Sox in the off season), and Chad Bettis (still with organization, just left out).

The Rockies had six representatives in Opening Day. Michael Cuddyer, Todd Helton, Troy Tulowitzki and Nolan Arenado rolled over from Series One. The two new cards from Opening Day also appeared in the factory team set, Carlos Gonzalez and Future Star Wilin Rosario.


So we’ve seen nine cards from the Rockies factory team set that were repeats from Series One and Opening Day. That leaves seven more plus the stadium card.


The Rockies picked up Drew Stubbs in a trade with the Indians in the off season. Former Cub DJ LeMahieu is pretty much the Rockies everyday second baseman.


Jorge De La Rosa was a 16-game winner last season. Justin Morneau signed with the Rockies as a free agent after splitting 2013 between Minnesota and Pittsburgh. He has the unenviable job of trying to fill Helton’s shoes at first base in Colorado.


Jordan Pacheco is listed and shown as a first baseman here but has actually spent more time behind the plate this season than at first. Tyler Chatwood is a middle-bottom of the rotation guy. Brett Anderson came to the Rockies in an off season trade after five seasons in Oakland.

Last but not least, we have the legendary Coors Field. I don’t know how well the Rockies do attendance wise but Topps did a great job of picking a photo where the stands look packed.


There's a lot of Photoshop going on in this team set. I look forward to breaking them down.

And just so I can say I showed all of the Rockies cards from Series One, Opening Day and the Factory Team set, here are the previously mentioned five from Series One that got excluded from the team set.





Not a base card but also from Opening Day, is Dinger, the Rockies mascot.


So far after starting with the Cubs and the Nationals, I have also secured all five of the California teams, the Rockies and the Mariners. I have access to the Washington Nationals if you’d like to trade straight up for your local team, but I’m also willing to trade other stuff or can straight up buy one.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting these, hadn't seen them yet. That Morneau photoshop is beyond terrible.

    ReplyDelete