Thursday, May 15, 2014

Now with Cubs - 1984 O-Pee-Chee Scott Sanderson

As I've been sorting through the lots of Cubs cards I picked up, I was lucky enough to discover several cards from a fairly large set I missed out on in the 1980's, O-Pee-Chee. I remember seeing them as a kid with their half English, half French write ups on the backs but never had much interest in them. Today is a different story because like the Fergie Jenkins card from last week, I'm able to add new "Cubs" cards to the collection like this 1984 O-Pee-Chee Scott Sanderson. 


Despite it saying Cubs down the left side of the card where the Topps version said Expos, I would not have added this card to my Cubs collection as a kid. He's wearing an Expos uniform, I would have said. It wouldn't have mattered that Sanderson would end up having the longest stint of his career with the Cubs and that Sanderson comes to mind as a Cub for adult me.

Looking back, I scoff at little kid me and explain how funny it was when announcer Harry Caray would mix up Scott Sanderson, Ryne Sandberg and Jim Sundberg's names with each other. Maybe you'd had to have been there. Or maybe I would explain that these "Now with Cubs" cards were the players' team rookie cards. Sure Sanderson was a six year veteran, but this was his first Cubs card.

And then rational me would argue who cares about first, just get it right. Logos and uniforms all together. Bah! Close enough, collector/hoarder me would say.


No comments:

Post a Comment