Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Cardboard Association Part 2

I've been keeping busy the past two weeks, really trying to get my organizing in gear. The time I would normally use for blogging has been reallocated to other things. My other blog takes hardly any time, especially with the template. I can knock out a week's worth of posts in about 90 minutes so I can't really place the burden there. While sorting cards though, I have come across a few things I think are worth mentioning. That how I end up posting about non-Cubs cards...and division rivals to boot.

A few weeks ago I made a post associating some cards together. Whether they share a photo, or a moment or just a day, sometimes cards are linked in my brain.


While sorting some 2012 Topps into team piles for redistribution, I came across these two cards of the Cardinals' Edwin Jackson and the Reds' Juan Francisco. Same play, taken just moments apart.



The source photos are the only two results when I searched for both of the players' names together so that made it quite easy.
ST. LOUIS, MO -SEPTEMBER 4: Juan Francisco #25 of the Cincinnati Reds attempts to score on a wild pitch against Edwin Jackson #22 of the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium on September 4, 2011 in St. Louis, Missouri. The Reds beat the Cardinals 3-2. (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images) 

The captions were exactly the same for both, leaving it vague as to what the result of the play was. You see the ball on the Jackson card, but there is still some distance between the players on the Francisco card. The runner should be out, but there are a lot of bang-bang plays at the plate that don't go the way they should.


According to the Baseball-Reference box score, Juan Francisco doubled in the 4th inning and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. The first pitch to the next batter was a wild one, but the Cardinals' battery recovered and got the inning ending out at the plate

The Cardinals would tie the game in the bottom half of the inning at two runs apiece. The score would stay that way until the 10th inning when Francisco redeemed himself with an RBI single for the winning run. Francisco was 4-5 that day but had just the one RBI and no runs scored.

Another interesting thing about these cards is that the Jackson card is from Series 1 and the Francisco card is Series 2. The cards would be nowhere near each other in the set/binder (if I had the complete set). I would have never caught this (and it's been 6 years, right?) had it not been for Edwin Jackson being one of the players either. Because he would go on to become a Cub, his cards garner a second glance from me.


Also, coincidentally, they both appear in the Update Series that year as they had moved onto different teams for 2012. Weird, no?

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I had a series of posts where I called pairs of cards like like this "doppelgangers"... Mine are largely from the 1990's and were cards of the same player from different sets which showed the same moment.

    https://shlabotnikreport.wordpress.com/tag/doppelgangers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the link. Sorry, didn't meant to doppelganger your idea, haha.

      Delete
  2. That's a great catch by you! I love this type of stuff!

    ReplyDelete