Wednesday, March 7, 2018

I Was There! 2018 Topps #175 Jose Quintana

My pick for my favorite card of 2017 was a simple base card of Jose Quintana out of Topps Update that spawned more than twenty parallels between its base, chrome, mini and jumbo iterations. I happened to have been at the game when the photo was taken so it added some fun to the chase.

Base

Fast forward to 2018 and Quintana flagship card is from the same game. I just hit the 10th different parallel mark, so time to show some off. I won't bother rehashing the game again, but you can see some photos and a video from the game on my 2017 post here.

Toys R Us Purple

I bought a number of packs this year from Toys R Us, but didn't pull any purple Cubs. These seem to dry up pretty quick and fetch more than the Target Reds and Walmart Blues ever did.

Gold #0744/2018

Golds are the most plentiful numbered cards. Because of that, they tend to be the only parallel I will chase a team set of. Especially now that the aforementioned unnumbered Target Reds and Walmart Blues went away.

Vintage Stock #61/99
The Vintage Stock have the old school feel to them and the retro Topps logo. I might have to look into finding the rest of the team set for these. Limited to 99 isn't too crazy, but some of the more popular players fetch a premium.

Black #02/67
The number of black cards goes up by one every year as they represent the number of years Topps has been making cards. They also remind me to dust my scanner.

Unnumbered Black & White Negative
As I said the other day, these Black & White Negative cards have to be the ugliest parallel. Although they are unnumbered, I have seen speculation based on odds that there are probably around 50 copies or so of these. 

Mother's Day pink #11/50

The Mother's Day Pink and Father's Day Blue are actually numbered to 50 copies. Still looking for the latter.

5x7 #01/49

I picked up one of the 5x7's. The same seller has the gold version that is limited to 10, but I didn't pull the trigger there. Maybe after the Opening Day case break.


These last two are straight up money grabs for Topps. The card on the left is the Blank Back 1/1 that Topps offers through their eBay store of just about every card they make. The card on the right is another 1/1, this one through their Transcendent VIP party. Pay a lot of money, get some swag. I can only imagine how disappointed the seller was to pull the Quintana.

These 10, plus the 19 parallels from 2017 and the Topps Now card bring me to 30 cards from Jose Quintana's Cubs debut. A checklist hasn't been released, but I anticipate a few more out of Opening Day and probably Mini later in the year. I believe he'll also be included in the 17-card factory team set.

Despite 10 versions, I'm still on the lookout for these others:

Rainbow Foil
Independence Day - /76
Father's Day Blue - /50
Memorial Day Camo - /25
Platinum - 1/1
Any Printing Plates - 1/1
5x7 Gold - /10

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. This rainbow must taste really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool colle collection. Good luck with the quest.

    ReplyDelete