Monday, March 12, 2018

Mailday Monday

I took a few sporadic days off last week but it had more to do with lack of time than of post ideas. Sometimes not knowing what I want to talk about, despite lots to show off leads me to not get anything done. I definitely thrive under structure. That said, I've been tinkering with the idea of doing a more formulaic post schedule.

I'm always a fan of alliteration so we'll start off with a Mailday Monday. I'll be bringing back Wroad to Wrigley Wednesdays as I have a slew of minor league Cubs cards to go through as well. My Ivy cards will have a set day now on Franken-Friday. Throwback Thursday will feature some part of my collection that I've had a while but for some reason never featured. This will help me appreciate what I have, while also keeping me motivated on getting everything organized. Saturdays are for Two Random Rynos, and Sundays are for repacks. That leaves just Tuesdays as kind of a wild card.

I had a few eBay envelopes last week but had already scanned them in and filed them away before deciding I would do Mailday Monday. Nothing terribly exciting, parallels of cards I've already shown from Series  and my Heritage team set. Wrigley Wax usually does team set posts so I'll defer to him there.

But a pair of PWEs from Daniel over at It's Like Having My Own Card Shop got me really excited at the tail end of the week. He had offered up some early Donruss cards on a post a few weeks back. While my Cubs team sets are done, I raised my hand for any excess Ivy cards he may have. I knew 1981 Donruss would be a gold mine as there were quite a few on my Elusive Ivy page and Daniel really came through!

Nineteen cards between the two PWEs are all of them were new to me. I've been putting off adding these because I am pretty condition sensitive and would rather pick them up in person at a card show. However, these all came with sharp corners all around and pretty well centered. 


I was not a fan of these Astros uniforms growing up but seeing them again is great nostaligia.


And we definitely need to bring back powder blue more often!


Even the Cardinals look better in blue!


And more blue from Montreal.



A quarter of Giants. The Randy Moffitt might be my favorite from the whole group. A great shot of the whole scoreboard and his jacket underneath reminds me of the sauna suits (trash bags) we would wear while cutting weight for wrestling, whic I'm pretty sure are banned now.


Although the Padres put up a fight with three unique cards themselves. Some early season, leafless vines on the Dennis Kinney card, rain tarp behind Eric Rasmussen and Gene Richards choking waaaay up on that bat.


Not just the powder blues, but you have to love that black and yellow combo too. Fine line between gaudy and awesome.


We'll wrap it up with a Reds player in front of a red door. The doors are all green now and don't stick out as much among the Ivy. I remember them being red but couldn't tell you when they made the switch. 

I had just mentioned on my Friday post that I would pass the 500 mark on my Ivy collection if I pulled the trigger on any of my several online carts and later that day, these arrived. As you can see by the counter in the sidebar, I stand at 508.

Thanks a bunch, Daniel! I'm waiting for my case of Opening Day to arrive this week and I'll get some stuff out to you by next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. That's a goldmine of Wrigley shots. I could do without the powder blue myself, and the Pirates pillbox hats. I have always liked the Astros rainbow uniforms. Great ivy collection. I have nothing like it but I do remember buying a few early 1960's cards for the Wrigley backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete