Monday, March 5, 2018

Keepin' It 100

Time for my monthly tallying to hold myself accountable for keeping the collection in order.

Last week I hit the 100 milestone for unique Cubs cards out of 2018 Topps Series One. And yes, by unique, I include parallels. But contrary to what the title says, I will not be "keepin" it at 100 because I have already surpassed it. That's just something the whippersnappers have been saying. As you can see by the updated counter in the right sidebar, I sit at 101 with a few more on the way.


It certainly doesn't hurt the collection that I am attempting to supercollect four particular cards for my "I Was There" niche collection. What may impress is that I have only one of the Kris Bryant Highlight cards. That's a 30-card insert set with two parallels of each card. Once I start tackling that, it's off to the races.

Here's my player count so far:

Rizzo, Anthony 22
Bryant, Kris 10
Quintana, Jose 10
Lackey, John 9
Lester, Jon 9
Happ, Ian 8
Baez, Javier 7
Contreras, Willson 6
Schwarber, Kyle 5
Russell, Addison 4
Avila, Alex 3
Heyward, Jason 3
Sandberg, Ryne 2
Uehara, Koji 2
Arrieta, Jake 1
Dawson, Andre 1
Zobrist, Ben 1

Anthony Rizzo is running away with it because he has two cards in the base set, his regular card and the NL Combo card with Bryce Harper. Quintana, Lackey and Lester are the other three with base cards that I am supercollecting which bumps them near the top. Kris Bryant and Ian Happ are just in a bunch of the inserts sets. I have five relics so far and zero autographs.


My favorite parallel so far is probably the Independance Day cards numbered out of 76. I'm not saying I completely understand why this card even exists, but since I was at the game, I can appreciate the photo itself. This parallel pops the best with Cubs colors.


The worst, and it isn't even close are these black and white negatives. Ugly, ugly, ugly across the board.

I am one of the few not particularly interested in Heritage. I picked up my team set but will settle for picking up parallels or hits through trades until prices settle waaaay down.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my next big purchase will be Topps Opening Day and am really looking forward to that.

3 comments:

  1. 100 different parallels of the same team in a single set? Woof, that's insane. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back and counted. I have have with 48 different card numbers and 5 SP Photo variations that I wouldn't consider parallels.

      The other 48 are parallels of the "base" 48. When even the inserts have parallels, the number are going to pile up!

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what the kids say. I do appreciate that Rizzarper card.

    ReplyDelete