Friday, March 2, 2018

IVY: 1991 Leaf #8 Dave Martinez

I have almost 500 cards in the Ivy collection and need to whittle down some of the numbers where I have duplicates for the Frankenset. I want to make sure each card gets its due so I've decided that over the course of a month or so, I will sprinkle in individual posts. When I have exhausted what I have for each binder page, I'll post which ones made the cut. Once I have a full page, I'll add a tab up top where you can view each page. I have multiple representatives for many of the first 99 numbers (11 full pages) which should get me through all of 2017.

We are up to #8 in the Ivy Frankenset and this will actually wrap up the first page. For those that don't remember, I've already showcased #9 back in the original Page 1 post. That means we'll get to see the updated Page 1 sometime next week with the Cubs replaced. Decisions will need to be made where I have numbers represented by multiple cards!

Dave Martinez is no stranger to Wrigley Field having two stints as a player and most recently serving as Joe Maddon's bench coach. Martinez was just hired as the Washington Nationals new Manager.


This Martinez card out of 1991 Leaf is the best kind card of an opposing player. Miscue! Martinez is making a solid effort up the Ivy but if you look closely, the ball is nowhere near his glove. This kind of play makes it difficult to call an error, though not impossible.

In 1990, Martinez played in eight games at Wrigley Field, all start to finish, all in centerfield. No pinch hit appearances or late inning replacements to make this a little easier. Rather than drag you through the minutiae of each game, I'll just list the possible plays. I'll be looking in the box scores for a Martinez error or an extra base hit that went in his general direction.

On June 25, 1990, Martinez had 8 putouts in 8 chances. That seems like a lot of balls hit his way but no real possibilities for what is pictured. Also, it was a night game and since Martinez is wearing his sunglasses, I should have ruled it out from the get-go. For the record, the most putouts in a game by a centerfielder is 12, done 3 times. The most recent was Jacoby Ellsbury in 1999.

The next day, June 26 presents a real opportunity.


A home run bouncing back didn't occur to me until I read this but the way the basket in the outfield sits at the top of the wall, I'm sure I've seen that happen a dozen times. In this particular play, a fan interference call turns a potential home run into a ground rule double for Cubs hitter Shawon Dunston. That sort of lets Martinez off the hook for a miscue, as I called it earlier. This was also the only real possibility for this game.

Nothing of note on June 27, except for a pair of Ryne Sandberg home runs to left center. If one of them happened to be short home runs that bounced back, I guess it's possible.

Nothing on June 28 either.

The next series was in early August. The Cubs put up 10 runs on August 3 and there are two possibilities.


A deep double by Mark Grace in the first inning.


And another by Sandberg in the second. Unfortunately, either of these would work. That doesn't help me narrow it down (or make it as cool as a fan intereference).

The Cubs scored another ten runs the next day, August 4, but it was a night game. Nothing notable anyway.


The series finale on August 5th, saw an RBI triple from Andre Dawson in the 6th inning. A ball off the wall like pictured could easily go for a triple.

The last game Martinez played at Wrigley in 1990 was September 11. Three Expos errors were committed that day but none by him. If you thought the 10-run game sin August were good, the Cubs put up a ten spot in the 2nd inning of this game.


Dwight Smith had a double to CF but it is noted as a line drive. I guess it's possible but I'm not sure.

Eight games, five possibilities. The fan interference one sounds like the most fun, but without more information, I can't be sure.


There is no competition for the #8 spot just yet, but I wasn't previously looking for backups if I already one for that number. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

1 comment:

  1. One of my absolute favorite ivy cards right here. The fact that Martinez wound up playing/coaching for the Cubs later on makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete