Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Carlos Lezcano


Carlos Lezcano signed with the Cubs as a free agent in 1977 but didn't make his Cubs (& MLB debut) until 1980 when he was the Cubs Opening Day center fielder. He played 21 games with them until mid-May when he was sent down to the Triple A Wichita Aeros. Lezcano stayed there until he was a September call-up and played 21 more games that season. He played another 7 games in 1981 during a mid-season call-up but that was it for his Major League career. 

He has been a minor league manager for the past 20 years or so, including a pretty long stint with the san Diego Padres organization. In 2006, he guided the AZL Padres to the League Championship and won the California League Manager of the Year Award in 2010 as head of the Lake Elsinore Storm.

This season, Lezcano is managing the El Paso Diablos of the American Association, an independent league. I found somebody on SCN who attends Diablos games was able to secure a few autographs for my collection. Lezcano benefitted from playing in a time that included the beginnings of Donruss and Fleer. He had a card in both inaugural sets, as well as Cubs Future Stars cards in both 1980 and 1981 Topps.

My Topps cards were in crummy shape, but I did send my Donruss and Fleer cards.


That Fleer card is partially badly scanned, but mostly a victim of bad factory cutting.

Of course, I also sent some ATCRCS cards, two of which were returned. I've taken to sending extras when I can in case the player wants one/some. I usually print a couple anyway so I don't end up with too many cards that end up like the Fleer above.


I made a back for this but forgot to scan it and can't find the original file. I'll keep looking though.

UPDATE: Found the back!



1 comment:

  1. Nice autos! I recently got him when he was in Wichita against the Wingnuts. Wish I would have known he played for the Aeros; that would have made for a good conversation.

    I love your card back!

    ReplyDelete