Saturday, August 10, 2013

Joe Carter

How many of you instantly think about the Cubs when Joe Carter is mentioned? Probably not too many of you. He got some MVP votes in Cleveland as well as his one year stinit in San Diego. But he didn't really become a star until heading up north to Toronto. As a Blue Jay, he won two Silver Slugger, was selected to 5 All-Star Games and continued to garner MVP votes. His crowning achievement is probably that World Series winning, walk-off home run off another former Cub, Mitch Williams. And oddly, enough, that's what I remember about that moment. Two former Cubs squaring off. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago this year.

Almost exactly two months ago, I did a pre-draft look at the previous players picked #2 overall by the Cubs. Joe Carter was one of those profiled and as luck would have it, shortly after I made the card, the opportunity to get it signed presented itself.


Carter was playing at the Lake Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tournament in July and a member of SCN was helping out. When I returned from my trip, I had this one waiting for me. Nice!

This card marks #65 in the ATCRCS collection. 


2 comments:

  1. Great looking card (well done, as always)!

    I really like Carter's signature. It's right up there with Dawson's in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The photo is kinda "deer caught in the headlights" but I agree about the signature.

      Delete