Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Carlos Villanueva


Today's post is brought to you by what was baseball's greatest mustache earlier this season. From what I recall, Carlos Villanueva has usually been sporting some kind of facial hair, but earlier this year, he kicked it up a notch and gave his mustache the ol' Rollie Fingers treatment by curling up the ends.

I think he could have started some kind of movement as he had a 1.53 ERA through his first four starts of the season. Keeping that momentum could have inspired some copycats through the league and I'm sure many fans would/could have adopted some kind of tribute. But Matt Garza came off the disbaled list in mid-May and Villanueva was demoted to the bullpen and away went the 'stache. After Garza was traded, Villanueva moved back to the starting rotation and hasn't quite reclaimed that early season glory.

Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-30's and my facial hair still grows in patchy in a few places, but there's something kind of cool about looking like an old cartoon villain that is going to tie your girlfriend to some railroad tracks...

This card was courtesy of vinniemiller on SCN again from the Seattle series back in July.

Some of you may remember that I had some success with Villanueva when the Cubs came to Washington back in May. My son got this 2013 custom team card signed back then so with no other "real" cards of him in a Cubs uniform, all I wanted was an ATCRCS card.

No comments:

Post a Comment