Wednesday, April 24, 2013

2013 Topps Scott Feldman Cubs Factory Team Set

The 2013 Cubs Factory Team set I picked up a little bit ago brought me Scott Feldman's first Cubs card. Along with fellow offseason acquisition Edwin Jackson, they have yet to earn a victory, combining for a 0-6 record. Meanwhile, Carlos Marmol has 2 wins, including being the pitcher of record in last night's extra inning debacle of a win. But I digress.


I don't know the exact timeline on when these team sets were produced and released but this one is definitely a photoshop job. I'm not as much of a uniform aficionado as Wrigley Wax is, but I think it looks pretty good. They even got his number right as he switched from 39 is Texas to 46 in Chicago. I don't think they should necessarily retire Ryan Dempster's old number but it is a little sad to see it move on so quickly. (And Tony Campana's #1 is now worn by Cody Ransom.)

Photo by Michael Zagaris (Courtesy of Getty Images)
When this photo was taken on June 4, 2012, Feldman was in the midst of a 1.2 inning shellacking at the hands of the Oakland Athletics. Whoops. In addition to adjusting the uniform, you'll note that Topps removed the logo from the outfield wall as well.

As I mentioned, this is Feldman's first official Cubs card. But it's not his first card of 2013. He was also given a regular card in Series 1, while still affiliated with the Rangers.


This game wasn't much better for Feldman although he did make it further, as the Rangers fell 6-5 to the Twins on August 26, 2012.

Photo by John Williamson (Courtesy of Getty Images)
The backs are nearly identical with only changes made to the team and the blurb. Apparently, the Cubs and Rangers have the same color scheme. I never really thought about it before, but I guess I associate them more with red.



The blurb on the back of the Rangers card talks about his rough start to 2012 and then his impressive comeback to even out his record. What it fails to mention is that he didn't pick up another win all season and rattled off another five more losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment