Sunday, February 11, 2018

Repack Sunday

Every once in a while I hit my local dollar store and pick up a few 30-card, $1 repacks. There's hardly anything worth a dollar in these packs but for me, a buck is worth the price of entertainment. A good pack will yield about 10 cards worth mentioning.


The cover card this week was the horiztonal, very orange Wei-Yin Chen. It was the only pack with a horizontal showing so it was one of the few I picked a couple of weeks back. The Tom Henke was the only other horizontal. I love 1993 Upper Deck.


The oldest cards in the pack were fittingly, a set of 1985 Twins. I bought a few packs here and there in 1983-84 but 1985 Topps was the first time I ever realy tried to complete a set so the Ed Hodge is very familiar to me. I remember thinking his glove was huge. Which is funny because the next year, Mickey Hatcher had a card where his glove is huge.


The newest card in the pack was this 2012 Topps Erik Bedard. Without doing any research, this has to be the smallest difference between oldest and newest in a pack for me. These are usally good for something from the early 80s and as recent as the year before.


We had a set of Twins, how about a pair of Twin killings to add to the pile. Mark Loretta is doubling up someone from the A's, while Felix Fermin gets the Orioles' Steve Finley.


A quartet of Hall of Famers. Reggie Jackson on the Angels makes me think of The Naked Gun. I lived in Michigan in the early-mid 90's so I got to see Sparky manage the Tigers quite a bit before he retired. His last year with the Reds was the year I was born. And since I was born in November, when the season was over, technically, he's always been a Tiger for me.

I also lived on Fort Leavenworth in the late 80's so we made the trip to see George Brett (and Bo Jackson) a few times. Did I mention I grew up going to Orioles games as well in the mid-80's when I lived in Maryland, too? I did, but that was way before Roberto Alomar got there.


This was definitely a Twins hot pack. And a Joe Niekro one, too. Niekro represents the only former/future Cubs from the pack. That's some hot fashion on the Fleer card.


As for actual Cubs, we'll wrap this up with the 1989 Rookie of the Year, Jerome Walton and his teammate and runner-up, Dwight Smith. The Smith card with the Ivy in the background was one of my favorites growing up.

Fifteen (half!) of the thirty cards worth mentioning? That makes for a great pack and well worth the buck!

2 comments:

  1. The Chen Wei-Yin is newer than the Bedard, FWIW. B^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, brain fart there. I set the Chen aside right off the bat as special for being the top card and didn't even think about it. Thanks!

      Delete