Saturday, February 10, 2018

Two Random Rynos

In this weekly series, I show off two random Ryne Sandberg cards from my 600+ card PC. One will be from his playing days (pre-1998) and one since his retirement (1998-present).

I'm still working my way through the cataloging process of this PC but I passed 600 this week, with quite a few more to go. I should be around the 800 mark when all is said and done. Once I definitively know what I have, I can make that push to 1000.

Playing Days:


This card is from 1986 Fleer League Leaders, a 44-card boxed set exclusive to Walgreen's drug stores. I wish little sets like this would make a comeback. No frills, mostly stars, fair price. Similar to the 17-card NL/AL All-Star Standouts sets by Topps but bigger like this. And put out by different stores.

I wonder what it would cost stores to make some kind of deal with Topps for production and distribution and why more stores don't seek out deals like that.

Post Retirement:


Today's post retirement card was also produced by Fleer, from the 2001 Greats of the Game set. This was a set I loved when it was released. I bought a complete base set and sent out a bunch of TTM requests for autographs. Amazing how much the TTM hobby has changed in that time. I remember balking at Yogi Berra's $10 charge (and eventually sending and receiving back).

I even started adding the certified autographs from the set and at one point, I had over 60 of the 93-card autograph set.

Unfortunately, I gave up on it and sold off everything but the Cubs. That is my biggest hobby regret. It is by far my favorite year from the Greats of the Game run.

2 comments:

  1. I really like all of those retired player sets. I thought your post was going to be a bar joke--two random Rhynos walk into a bar... Very impressive that you had accumulated all those autos. I think we all have some regret like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a fan of the retired player sets. The 2001 Greats of the Game set is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete