Friday, June 29, 2012

ATCRCS: First Pitch Friday - Devin Hester

Although I am a Cubs fan, I'm not necessarily a fan of Chicago's other sports. Baseball was king when I was growing up in the '80s and the fact that I could watch the Cubs on WGN anywhere I lived didn't really translate to the other sports.

While the '90s made way for a rise in basketball fans, my focus was high school, girls, college and girls. As an undersized white kid, I couldn't care less about that other joker that showed up in Chicago to usurp Ryno as the resident #23. Basketball was never my sport and never will be. Didn't care to play it, didn't care to watch it.

Surprisingly, even though I was a bandwagon Cubs fan in 1984 at the age of 6, I wasn't a Bears fan when they won the Super Bowl in 1985. Nothing against them, just didn't care. I've gotten more into football in recent years and followed the Patriots when I lived in Maine for a few years but don't really think I have a favorite team. None I'm as passionate about as with the Cubs anyway.

I still wouldn't say I'm a Bears fan but I do really enjoy watching Devin Hester play. For his Super Bowl appearance against the Colts, I wasn't feeling well that day so I couldn't bring myself to go to any Super Bowl parties. I was at home watching the game with my wife and two young sons who were 6 and 4 at the time. None of them really watched football so as I was explaining that Hester was known for these ridiculous run backs, he of course starts the game with one for a touchdown.


I was so excited (didn't care about the outcome, just wanted a good game...and some funny commercials) and my family looked at me like I was crazy. When I asked why, my wife assumed this was common since I just explained that was what he did.


I don't know enough about football to know whether Hester can make the Hall of Fame just on his touchdown returns, but it would kind of neat to have three different #23's from the same city in their respective Halls. And potentially jerseys retired? Can any other city lay claim to that? Next young stud for the Blackhawks should wear it too.


Anyway, without further adieu, here is this week's First Pitch Friday card:




No comments:

Post a Comment