Wednesday, July 11, 2012

ATCRCS - Autograph Edition

I have a love/hate relationship with the Chicago Sun-Times Card Show that happens a couple times a year out in Chicago. I love that they are able to get so many former Cubs to sign autographs but hate the prices they charge. It makes perfect business sense and if they are going to collect that money, it will be from the fans of Chicago teams that live in that area. But that doesn't mean its not frustrating as a collector.

I mentioned previously that some of my First Pitch Friday cards were made for the show but I couldn't pull the trigger on actually paying for the celebrity and/or non-Cubs participants. Well they did have a mini 1969 Cubs reunion at the most recent show and I did shell out a few bucks for some of these guys. Rather than pay a mail order surcharge, I went through a fellow collector over on Sportscollectors.net who goes by Macey225 and was more than generous in helping me out.


Five of the six guys I got were members of the fateful '69 team. And since I haven't posted the unsigned versions yet, I will post the backs along with them.












Don Young was the priciest of the bunch. He doesn't do very many appearances at all and according to SCN, is either tough to find (common name) or doesn't like to sign through the mail. The only non '69 team member was 3x All-Star George Altman.



This batch brings my signed ATCRCS set up to a total of 23, of which I think I've only featured a few others. Once I get a couple more, I may make a new tab and showcase them all in one place. When I started at the beginning of the year, I wanted to have between 50 and 100 signed by the end of the year. Unless I get a move on sending some out TTM, I'm going to struggle to reach even the lower number. Better get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment