Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Another Day at the Ballpark

Last Monday I did a write up on our day at the ballpark. Last night we decided to hit another game because Mondays are $1 tickets and $1 hot dogs. Can't feed and entertain the family for much less than that these days, right?

Armed with a Lynchburg Hillcats team set and Carolina League Top Prospects set we had just picked up on Sunday at the card show, we did pretty well. But to be honest, my son did most of the work with those as I had a mission of my own. Here's his haul, mostly pregame with a couple in-game from pitchers who were charting pitches in the stands behind home plate.

Top Prospects Set:
Nick Ahmed, Cody Martin, Edward Salcedo, David Freitas
 A couple more P-Nats we didn't get last week:
Shane McCatty, Neil Holland, David Freitas, Robbie Ray x2, Adam Olrychowski
 Lynchburg Hillcats (Single-A affiliate of the Braves)
Nick Ahmed, Caleb Brewer, Matt Chaffee, Dimasther Delgado, Chris Garcia, Juan Jaime
Cody Martin, David Rohm, Edward Salcedo, Braeden Schlehuber, Gus Schlosser, Blaine Sims
Matt Weaver, Luis Salazar, Derek Botelho, Ty Cobbs, Bobby Moore, Jason Curry

I wish more Major Leaguers signed autographs as much as their Minor League counterparts did but I think I did pretty well with my own mission. Last week, I said I didn't have enough time to process my ATCRCS card of Xavier Nady to bring to the game with me. Surprisingly, he was still with the team rehabbing so I came prepared this time. Nady has had a goatee and mustache every time I've seen him before so when he came out clean shaven, I wasn't sure it was him right away. I confirmed his number and called him over. He took a good look at the card but didn't say anything as he signed it.

My first in-person signed ATCRCS card
Not only did he sign the card, but I forgot to mention last week that my older son also caught a foul all off the bat of Nady. So we brought that with us this week and asked him to sign that too.


My mission did not end there though because across the diamond managing the Hillcats was another former Cub, Luis Salazar. You might have noticed above that my son got his team set card signed. Well, I walked away with a signed ATCRCS card and a 1991 Topps Desert Shield card for my collections so as far as I'm concerned, mission accomplished!

My 2nd in-person ATCRCS card and 25th overall!
1991 Topps Desert Shield Luis Salazar

That brings my signed collection of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards to....drumroll.....two. Oh well, slow and steady wins the race, right?

3 comments:

  1. That's a haul of autographs for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely spoiled with a Single-A ballclub and a ballpark with a fan-friendly layout.

      Delete