Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Upcoming Topps Heritage Minor League Baseball Release

I was snooping around Dave and Adam’s Card World (of course, when I should have been doing other things) and noticed they are preselling the 2012 Topps Heritage Minor League Baseball Hobby boxes. In the details section they had listed the now all too common listing of autographs, relics, parallels, etc. of guys I am not yet familiar with.

But something else caught my attention.

"Make YOUR Pro Debut"- Topps will offer a lucky fan the once-in-a-lifetime experience of being a pro player for a day with the Corpus Christi Hooks during the 2013 season, and have their own baseball card in 2013 Topps Pro Debut.
Become a pro player for a day with the Corpus Christi Hooks and have your very own baseball card offered in next year's Topps Pro Debut release. Plus, you will have the chance to meet and spend time with current owner and Hall-of-Famer, Nolan Ryan! Here are some of the other highlights of your contract:
- Press conference & photo ops to announce winner and sign a one-day contract
- Locker in the Corpus Christi clubhouse (or auxiliary for female winner)
- A complete uniform (cap, jersey, pants, socks, spikes)
- Equipment (Wilson glove, Louisville Slugger bat, Franklin batting glove, Rawlings helmet)
- Pre-game warm-up/stretches with team
- Pre-game batting practice
- Shag fly balls in outfield
- Post-BP snacks in Clubhouse
- Present lineup with Manager
- Ceremonial first pitch
- Spend time in broadcast booth and be interviewed by broadcaster
- Spend time (with your guest) in the owner's suite with Hooks owner and baseball legend Nolan Ryan
- Post-game meal with team
- Presented with official dugout lineup card after game
- Winner will have their very own "Pro Debut" trading card featured in the 2013 Topps Pro Debut release
There’s no mention of how to actually win but that is quite a haul for the eventual winner. I wonder how the Corpus Christi Hooks were chosen. Or did they volunteer this prize? An Astros affiliate and the chance to hobnob with Nolan Ryan? Sounds right up The Daily Dimwit’s alley.

I would love this prize regardless but if I were able to do it with the Cubs? Or one of their minor league affiliates? Wow. A little further down the list of prizes it mentions doing something “with your guest” so that’s pretty cool. Its one thing to be able to do all this but to share it with someone else is pretty awesome.

As for my card in the 2013 Pro Deut set...


I would hate to have one of those lame posed photos.


I definitely couldn't pull off the Badass Catcher pose.


As a lefty, I couldn't do the middle infielder turning two or tagging out an attempted basestealer.


I wouldn't want to be immortalized on my lone baseball card making crazy faces.


I wouldn't look nearly as good rounding the bases these days.


Which leaves some kind of Web Gem that the photographers could hopefully catch while I'm in the outfield shagging fly balls as part of my prize. When I did play, I loved chasing down fly balls in the outfield so I think that would be perfect.

My question to you is what pose would you strike on your Pro Debut card if you were the winner?

2 comments:

  1. Badass catcher's pose, hands down. Basically, any Benito Santiago card shot would work for me.

    If not that, maybe a "celebration" type shot, where I'm high-fivin' my teammates after coming back to the dugout (seemingly after a homer, but more realistically after striking out badly).

    That's a cool prize. I know that the Hooks are owned by Nolan, as are the Round Rock Express, the Rangers AAA team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go with a shot of me clownin' on some un-expecting minor league player.

    Perhaps me gently placing a large bubblegum bubble on top of their hat. Or maybe lighting a match in an effort to give someone a "hot foot". I confess, I was a pitcher in college and had WAY too much down time between starts.

    ReplyDelete