Friday, July 6, 2012

ATCRCS: First Pitch Friday - Dick Butkus

Back to back Bears on First Pitch Fridays? Well, it seems there is a disproportionate number of athletes from other Chicago teams that make the first pitch. But I would argue that's probably the case in any other major market. Its a great marketing tool. Bring in some proven winners to associate with your craptastic team and maybe the fans will forget the 100+ year drought.

There a few non-Bears and even a couple of non-athletes in the queue to be made but to be honest, I made the most recent batch in anticipation of the Mounted Memories card show in Chicago last weekend. Finch. Hester. Butkus. And a couple more coming up that I won't spoil for you. I thought about paying to have them signed but just couldn't pull the trigger. I love the idea behind the set, but I just don't have the passion for the subjects like I do the regular set that features Cubs players. That makes it a little harder to pony up for the autographs.

If I was going to pay, Dick Butkus would probably be one of the guys worth it to me. College Football Hall of Fame. Pro Football Hall of Fame. Eight time Pro Bowl selection. NFL All Decade Team member for the 1960s and 1970s despite playing less than half of each decade. University of Illinois retired his #50. Da Bears retired his #51.

He wasn't real gentle either. Here's a short clip that shows a bunch of his brutal hits as well as some peer appreciation.


He was retired before I was born so after watching the video above, I'm embarrassed to say I remember him more from guest appearances on shows like MacGyver, Coach & My Two Dads. 


I couldn't find any video of his first pitch or singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame so those clips will have to do. Here is the card I made but did not get signed:



No comments:

Post a Comment