Wednesday, March 13, 2013

2013 Topps Anthony Rizzo Part 2: SP Edition

A couple of weeks ago, I broke down Anthony Rizzo's regular base card. Today I bring you his "Out of Bounds" short print. I haven't paid attention to any of the other SPs so I don't know if every team has one or not. Last year Starlin Castro had the SPfor the Cubs. This is further proof that Topps has a new Cubs poster boy. I haven't had much luck finding the photos Heritage used so this might be the last one of these I do for a while.


Rizzo is clearly set up to catch a foul ball. I wonder how high the ball is that they couldn't put it in the card?

Photo by Chicago Tribune (courtesy of Getty Images)
Oh, really? Couldn't zoom out a little more or crop higher up his leg? Not too big of a deal though, still a pretty cool shot. For once the caption gave me all of the information:
Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo (44) catches a foul ball for an out that is hit by Houston Astros shortstop Jed Lowrie (4) in the first inning at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, on Sunday, July 1, 2012. The Cubs beat the Houston Astros 3-0. 
I usually have to look up the boxscore on Baseball-Reference to get those kind of details. Kind of anti-climactic, especially considering the legwork I did for yesterday's Mark Grace post. But I went and looked anyway. Not only did he show off fancy glove work (slight exaggeration), he drove in the winning run with a single in the 6th inning. Sounds like a good day at the ballpark.

The card back is the same as the regular base card that I broke down previously so no fun there. But here's the link again in case you missed it the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment